View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Outlaw911,
Thanks for sharing your project dreams and goals with us. A short-stroke 3 liter screamer sounds like a great idea.

I'm with Don on the Garrett turbo selection. They are more modern than the KKK's and they give you greater latitude in finding the perfect fit. Find a highly recommended turbo vendor and state your goals. One other thing that people fail to realize with the Garrett turbo's is the compressor outlet temps. With a properly matched turbo, you will realize lower outlet temps, more than likely, than with an off-the-shelf turbo. This means the IC will have a greater margin of safety and lower IC outlet temps.

Regarding the transmission, you can get by with a 4 speed if you design the the gear spacing/ratios for the track(s) you're running on. Put the first gear ratio for the slowest corner and build out from there. You are probably going to have a pretty tall first gear, but a friend of mine is running a 930 at Road America and built his first gear for Turn 5 (a very slow 90* left hander) and spaced his ratios out from there. He found he didn't really need a 5 speed for this track.

In respect to your cam selection, match the turbo to the cams. Talk to your turbo vendor or cam vendor and express your targets. Having them grind a cam to your specific needs is really no more expensive than picking an off the shelf cam. Even then, I seriously doubt you'll be running more than 7K RPM at the top. Running 8K RPM takes some serious money to give this generation of engine serious longevity.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P

Last edited by WERK I; 10-24-2009 at 07:00 AM..
Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)