View Single Post

Garage
I'm reading this thread and I'm still not sure your intentions on charge air cooling.

I read you are looking at a liquid loop charge air cooler system. Driven by the same desire to retain my IROC deck lid I did the same on a twin turbo 3.0L set-up.

I think all basic systems air to air, air to water (liquid loop) and water/alcohol air stream injection have their benefits and drawbacks. It’s a decision driven by application compromises. Liquid loop will fit the technical requirement and retain the stock tail however you should consider this type of system will probably be heavier plus the weight is where you least desire it for a track car.

The air to air CAC is ideal for the 930 Porsche because:
You already have a serious fan to draw the air
You need a tray type spoiler anyway
You need to use the lightest installed system available.

My vote is to hang the non-CAC tail on the wall and convert to air to air charge cooling.

If you feel the need to supplement this air to air CAC with a water/alcohol injection system you can do that at a later date however one that has noticeable benefit is capable of consuming meaningful volumes of fluid when applied to tracking use.

My belief is once this community gets a handle on what is truly happening with head temperatures in a track type environment they will find supplemental water injection has its benefits if for no other reason than insurance. I say this also based on the direction most everyone takes in raising fixed compression ratio.

I say lose weight, get gears, keep C:R low and boost like hell. But then I’m an old school turbo guy.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)