View Single Post
Outlaw 911

Wow - great input and thank you all.

So things are now starting to take shape as far as the build is concerned. Here is what I have gathered so far. 400-425 is a reasonable goal, a 5 speed is key (G50 the only option, I am not going to break my rebuilt GBOX 915).

The reason I am starting out with a 3L versus a 3.3L or 3.6L - the engine was local, very complete and at super reasonable price. If I find a good 3.2 or 3.6 crank & rods - I might consider buidling a stroker, but that starts to get into a whole different set of challenges - like robbing 7-11s and selling my organs on eBay.

1 Modern turbo - possible Garrett. I need to start my homework on this one.
2 Tunable engine management - using the Carerra intake (already have one).
3 EDS - dual plug setup- maybe- since the heads will need work - might as well put in 2nd plug. Use a cranked fired setup.
4 Bump in compression - maybe - if I find the piston/cylinder out of spec - use new pistons - otherwise I might stay with what I have, shave the heads to get a a .5 bump in CR and run slight higher boost?
5 Cam selection - something beyond SC or 964 - allowing a power band into 6500-7300 rpm range - spec turbo to match. I need to start my homework on this one.
6 I am using a H2O based intercooler for a few reasons - I have seen A/A setups that have been placed under a standard deck lid, so that might work.
7 Use a short tube turbo manifold setup - that I all ready have.

Again - I don't want to get into peak HP numbers - rather a engine that can live for 10 or 15 laps when driven at a DE that will stay in a safe thermal range, go fast and makes super cool noise.

Check out my current project - which is in front of this one...but I am making good progress.

TurboChargingDynamics.com • View topic - TCD e28 s52

and

MyE28.com: BMW E28 5-series Resource - View topic - Update 8/23/09 Project e28s52t (Adjustable Rear Subframe)

Again - thanks for the input....more is always welcome.

Here is kinda what the finished result will be - a narrow body with French rally flares - I love the look.

Outlaw 911
Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)