View Single Post

Garage
Engine building advice needed

I purchased a 79' 911 SC last year and have fallen in love with it. I am getting ready to modify the drive train and even though I have been building cars and motorcycles for many years I am not familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the 3.0 engine, 915 trans-axle and half shafts.

Please don't mistake the following comment as attitude, but I am not looking to be told to do a search for information (as I already have numerous times), or to be given opinions from people who haven't modified these cars. What I really need is to hear from people that have gone out and broken parts, or can share experience they have been directly involved in.

I have already upgraded the suspension, brakes, tires and wheels, so now it's time to get the drive train up to speed. I am planning to rebuild a 3.0 and add 930 type headers with a single Garrett GT series turbo along with a stock 930 inter-cooler. I plan to add a Bitz EFI kit, an MSD ignition with boost retard, forged pistons, ARP rod bolts and ARP head studs. I intend to keep the stock 915 trans-axle and I have a Sachs Power Clutch kit along with a light weight fly wheel that should be adequate to handle the torque.

I have been unable to get any definitive information as to whether the stock crankshaft, connecting rods and crankcase are adequate. I also need to address any oiling concerns, although my car has a large oil cooler in front of the passenger front tire that I can duct additional air too. I am also considering o-ringing, porting and dual plugging the heads, but I don't think it is necessary.

Any experience sharing you are willing to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Chris
Old 10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)