View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
As far as answering your question on crankcase strength.
The 3.0 SC engine used the identical block as for the 3.3 turbos. The rods and rod bolts are actually stronger than the turbo and later Carrera rod bolts which were downsized. You should be able to rev safely to over 7000rpm as long as valve springs are updated.
The pistons you mentioned are forged replacements, stockers are cast, good choice but make sure C/R is down to 7.5 to 1 or so for detonation protection.
You will need a modified intake manifold to add intercooling and FI injectors....you already know this probably. Probably easier to start with a 3.2 Carrera manifold unit as mentioned above.
You are gonna need alot of oil cooling so get a front mount cooler that mounts below front bumper. Everything else will not get enough airflow to cool properly.
I assume your reference to valve spring replacement is to use a stiffer spring and properly shimming them.
Does the Carerra manifold set up bolt up to my engine, or can it be modified (as I own a machine shop)?
I assume most people add the front oil cooler and retain the wheel well cooler?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)