View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.lovell View Post
I assume your reference to valve spring replacement is to use a stiffer spring and properly shimming them.
Does the Carerra manifold set up bolt up to my engine, or can it be modified (as I own a machine shop)?
I assume most people add the front oil cooler and retain the wheel well cooler?

Thanks
Yes stiffer springs, shimmed to preload, lightened retainers.
The Carrera manifold should bolt up I assume, not 100% sure about how well it matches the ports on the SC heads. Earlier 78-79 SC used larger intake manifold runners so I assume heads/ports were changed to match the smaller runners on later years.
Oil cooling, I went thru the whole excercise of upgrading the trombone cooler to the later Carrera cooler with fan in the fender and found that it was not enuff cooling for the turbo under heavy loads, as at a DE event. The real solution is a front center mount cooler....plumbed inline with fender cooler is best. Now I never see more than 220 degrees on a hot 85 degree track day after 25 minutes running.
You know that a g50 box conversion is not trivial in a SC. You may wanna think about starting with a real turbo and gain the suspension, brakes, and tranny improvements that come with it.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-29-2009, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)