View Single Post

Good leak down and compression numbers are important to try to determine if it has a cracked ring or is starting to burn through a P&C. Oil leaks are fixable but some require removal of the motor and possibly re-timing of the cams (rocker arms, cam to chain housing). Oil consumption may be an indication of valve guide issue (look at the plugs to). Some smoke on accel is not necessarily an indication of valve guides as the turbo seals can allow some oil to enter the intake.

Look for Carrera chain tensioners or install them right away. I did not do this and it cost me a 930 motor.

Head studs failure seem to be a function of time, corsion, and luck and can be an issue on a few cars. Exposing them to salt that often comes with snow driving may not help.

Running it in the Snow would almost be a deal killer for me from a corision and driving point of view.

It can be done but a turbo has more weight in the rear than a 911 and the power output is not as progressive and manageable. Might spend some time making sure the bottom paint is well protected from the elements and run the best snow tires you can afford. I suspect driving a 930 on ice is at times going to be like trying to throw a dart backward. Still, it is doable for the faithful.

If you have snow, you probably will not be so concerned about weak A/C that comes with pre 1990 air cooled Porsches.

You should reset your CO (AFR's) with major changes. CIS measure's the volume of air, not its mass and this can through your AFR's out of whack. The 85 and newer do have a Lambda system that can improve gas mileage and adapt at idle and cruse for environmental changes, however this will not help you when in the throttle when it go's closed loop.

Might want to look for a 930 with all the goodies. There is about an additional 100hp with an inter-cooler, turbo, exhaust upgrade. As you seem to be a fellow speed freak, if you later want to add these yourself it can be a $5k investment.

930's are a very fun, low tech, and fixable car. Enjoy.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)