View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Me too!

Spence,
I am looking at doing something similar. I have fitted 28mm rear torsion bars Bilstein sport shocks and car is quite low, but I have ocassional problems with rear suspension bottoming out. When this happens at high speed on an uneven and undulating road, the car's reaction can be quite scary Heart stopping, actually!
I know that a large part of the problem is that I am too low, but I like it like that (hate that song) and handling is good, so I really just want to beef up the spring rate towards the end of travel.
See the problem ...

Back to the main plot - I was considering fitting rear coil-overs in conjunction with my 28mm TBs to acheive this. As I see it, a progressive spring rate would be ideal.
Keeping in mind that this is really a road car that sees a few club events during the year, I don't want to go over the top with stiffness (or cost!).
I also don't want to go to the hassle of reinforcing the shock towers so I want to keep my TBs in place.

Once you get your new stuff fitted, let us know what difference it makes.
I may follow you down the same path.

You asked how to support the car ... found this pic of when I was fitting the TBs.
If I am not able to use the TB covers to support the car, I use my stands under the body with a piece of timber between the body and the stand. There is a small flat area where a bit of wood (1-1/2" x 3/4" x 6") sits neatly between A/C or oil lines and the body seam (on my car at least).
To get the TBs in and out, you don't need to take the rocker pannel or the shark fin decal off completely. The panel only needs to have the screws in rear half removed then just spring it away from the body a little. Put a spacer between panel and body just to hold it out far enough while you pull the TB.
Use a box-cutter and split the decal only as far as the the line where the rubber trim covered it. Then you can remove the TB cover plate downwards without destroying the decal. Good luck.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)