Thread: knock sensor
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nize View Post
aside from the porsche factory system for the 951, the only other system i know of that has this two-stage timing retard+boost-cut knock protection failsafe is the Wolf EMS.
I believe I mentioned SAAB Trionic before. They invented the thing. It senses the knock with ionization-current and pulls down ignition per cylinder. If outside the margins, it pulls down the boost. Been around for 15 years.
It runs sequential ignition and injection without the cam sensor by triggering ignition twice when cranking and detectin firing phase with ion current. Very trick. It has CDI ignition, 32 bit CPU, ion-current knock detection (that doesn't go deaf at hi revs), boost control, no cam sensor...and this is from 1994. There is still no ECU that can match it.

Doing knock detection by microphones compared to ion current is like navigating with sextant compared to GPS. There is a group that plans to develop ion-current sensing for DIY but it's still in development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trionic_T5.5

Last edited by beepbeep; 10-31-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)