View Single Post

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
BTW, your 914 looks beautiful, and turbo to boot! Out of curiosity, how do you get good airflow to your intercooler?

If you are very confident in your grounds, I think your ignition switch thought is a good one. Somewhere, you're getting intermittent electrical performance. The battery really functions as a capacitor once the engine has been started. If it is charged, the alternator really can't have anything to do with the types of symptoms you are experiencing... assuming you have a correctly functioning path between the battery and your fuse block (and good grounds).

As Rocket pointed out, that lug can be a problem on any car. Despite your restoration, it is possible for the cable ends to get corroded, leading to this type of problem. Pulling them and doing some Dremel cleanup on the ends, the lug/washer/nut can sometimes cure weird electrical issues.

If it were me, I'd be using "clean" power to the fuse block... jumper wires from the battery... to see if these issues went away. If they did, I'd follow up by removing the jumper wire for the ground to see if the symptoms returned. If not, I'd replace the ground jumper and remove the hot jumper... again to see if the issues returned. I believe you have either the ground or the hot failing, and this way you could determine which one.

Unfortunately, electrical issues are often a process of elimination.

I hope you keep us posted on what you find.

Dave
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)