View Single Post

Hi Paul.

A few have done as you and have been happy with it so if it works for you that is great.

That is more an accepted strategy on an EFI motor that can shut off the fuel on throttle lift even if the EFI senses air flow.

Still, if any air is being bleed from the area after the metering plate, the plate is more open than it should be and more fuel is being sent than should be.

We already have issue with CIS (Continuous Injection System) in that it keeps sending some fuel to the motor on throttle lift. This is sometimes evidenced by the popping that is often heard of fuel burning in the exhaust tract.

Bleeding off air just sends even more unnecessary fuel on throttle lift. Thus, would not recommend it to others.

I ran without a functioning original BOV. What I did notice was the lack of the "swoosh" noise. The black plastic Bosch BOV's are known to fail.

With a stock 930 or C2 turbo the chance of braking a shaft dose not seem significant. However, as we step up to modified turbos with larger wheels (larger levers-higher load), the risks increase.

It would make sense that the higher the boost level the higher the potential. Also probably the higher the RPM. A speed shift at 7300 at 1.1 bar is probably going to exert a lot more load than a .8 bar at 6300rpm.

We do not hear of sheared shafts very often anymore. However there was a recent report of blowing off a boost hose on one of the 930's here with a shift.

Go for it if it works for you. However, it is not that hard to do it right and there is not any draw back I can think of in the way Porsche dose.

Forgive me if we already covered this.

I am not an expert, just what I believe.

Last edited by 911st; 11-05-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)