Thread: Dead Car
View Single Post

To followup on my problem, the car would start and run for a few seconds then die. I thought I had an ignition problem after I ruled out fuel delivery. I bought a new MSD coil because the original coil broke at the terminals when I pulled off to check it. It didn't solve the problem, the Permatune ohmed out fine so I was back to re-checking things I had previously ruled out.

It turns out that I had a bad connection for the rear fuel pump relay. The way I found it was I pulled the plug on the air flow meter so the pumps would run when I turned the key on. With the pumps running, I wiggled the relays and noticed the rear pump making odd noises as I moved it. This is a socket/relay that I had overheat on me when the rear pump went out recently so I know it is probably not in the best condition. It was a new relay though. I cleaned it up a little more and spread the pins on the relay slightly and works fine.

Paul
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)