View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What is this !! Never seen this problem before.

I'm an exhaust guy and know a bit about CIS but this is down right weird.

Two months ago I removed my engine to swap trannies. While the engine was out I did a list of maintenance items. One was to remove and check the fuel injectors.
When the engine went back in the car the tranny had a problem so out it came again. I swapped back the old tranny and put the engine back in. The engine ran OK for a bit and then started to degrade. Within 2 weeks it would hardly start.
I looked at everything I had done and could find nothing wrong. The decision was made to pull it for a 3rd time.
I pulled the engine this morning and nothing seem unusual, until this. After everything was unhooked and the jack was ready to go under the car I hear a loud drip drip drip on the cardboard. What the hell is THAT? It was not oil and cannot be water. It smelled like FUEL. I looked up and the drip appeared to be coming from cylinder #3 between the cylinder and head.
What can cause this??? Where is this leak coming from?
I finished pulling the engine and pulled the injector for #3. The spark plug was wet, the injector soaked and the cylinder looked wet from what I could see.
I tested the injector and it had a terrible spray pattern and leaked badly enough to not hold pressure. Apparently the injector I had just checked a month ago has now failed.

I took a picture of the leak. It is just right of the header primary circled in red.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)