View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964 T #304 View Post
Mark ,I have over 30" of tail pipe on my 964 turbo and if you measure through that muffler to end you p;robably do also. I tune my afr @ idle as well @ higher rpm , as I am useing a digital wur and it makes a difference for me. I didn't say it should be 30" on a 930,just that is what the mfg. sugested to do . I had a zork on it for a while and had it mounted on top of it about 2" from the turbo as Brian Bodart sugested to do and it worked fine on boost but was not real reliable @ less than about 950 rpm.
My misunderstanding...I thought it meant 30 inches before the open end of the tail pipe. If I include the length of the muffler....starting at the turbo...to the end of the tail pipe then you're right I probably have 30" as well (on my non-stock straight thru muffler). I realize it's just the manufacturers recommendation.

I also tune mine at both idle and on higher rpms/boost, at idle using both the AFR gauge and the old standby Gunson Gas tester for %CO. My whole point is that we should not discount mounting sensors (for monitoring purposes only) post-muffler and relatively close to the end of the tail pipe. Each application is indeed unique.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)