View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdawson2 View Post
Not sure what the "feeling" is about the use of the G-Tech on this forum... but I wanted to test a little prior to changing my turbo and intercooler, just as a sort of baseline.

I've had very positive experiences with the G-Tech in the past, having used it while doing runs at a dragstrip, with the largest error being 6/100's of a second.

Anyway... my car is an '89 that is essentially stock with the exception of Brian's muffler. I live in Colorado, and I did my runs at slightly above 5000ft.

0-60's were repeatedly right at 6 seconds. 1/4 mile runs were also a very consistent 14.1 @ 107mph.

One thing I learned, is that it seems there's no good way to launch this car. I tried a half dozen different methods... most resulting in a major bog, and one that was too much for the clutch. Regardless of the type of launch, the results were always about the same. The telltale figure is the 60 foot time. I was never able to get below 2.5 seconds, which is very poor. I routinely have been able to get 1.6 second results out of my other cars.

I'll be installing the K27 7200 with a B&B intercooler soon. It will be interesting to see what sort of change those provide.

That's it....
Couple thoughts...

Obviously altitude has an effect on acceleration and power.

The GT is accurate but can be fooled by up and down vertical motions from the vehicle, translating that motion into more distance travelled to reach speed i.e. slightly slower times. I know my 930 reaches for the sky between shifts when I go thru the gears quickly.

Also the 1989 is over 100 lbs heavier than an '88 which is heavier than a '79, ect...

So those are just three variables to start with anyway.

If you have 17"inch tires you give up a little in the holeshot with taller effective gearing.

So you can imagine yourself giving away maybe a second if all the above play a role. And yet 6 seconds in real world terms is very fast, and nobody normally duplicates magazine testing times in the real world anyway.

Most magazine tests have the 930s in the low five second range and just cracking the 13s at maybe 112 mph so you are getting consistent times which are solid.

Last edited by DDDD; 11-16-2009 at 05:53 AM..
Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)