View Single Post
3 restos WIP = psycho

Seems to me that the other players are really stepping up their game (OK, JE is the only one), perhaps putting pressure on Mahle. I have wondered for a while why there are no "modern design" pistons for Porsche 911 applications, meaning skirtless, X-member, short pinned pistons.

These designs are the standard in today's newer turbo cars, like the WRX STi and Evo X, to name a few. JE just announced the availability of this kind of pistons for 911 applications, although only for 95mm diameters and up. I am still hoping they bite the bullet and run the gamut, as the HSR guys would love to have these lighter, lower friction pistons in 81mm fitments. These pistons are 40 grams lighter than the standard full skirt pistons, not to mention the pins are shorter and lighter, as well. Add titanium pins and you could end up with a piston/pin combo that produces less frictional loss and heat and is 100g lighter than a comparable Mahle. Add a set of Nickies cylinders and you have a real winner.
Check it out:

Quote:

Lightweight "FSR" Pistons for Porsche engines
JE Pistons has just released new lightweight "FSR" pistons for Porsche 911 engines. After a year of development and on-track testing, the new Porsche pistons have proven to be extremely durable and up to 30 grams lighter than previous designs. The all-new forging design features narrow skirts for reduced friction, external bracing for improved strength and a 2.250" wrist pin length to reduce overall weight. The pistons are currently available by custom order in bore sizes from 95.00 - 100.50mm and a variety of compression ratios.
Gives me a chubby just looking at them!

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)