View Single Post

Garage
Very interesting read. However, just to give this some perspective, when I read the first post I thought so what, another very expensive Porsche aftermarket product claiming a new elevated performance standard.

For the record we need to be reminded 35 years ago our pioneering Porsche engineers did:
1.4L Baby 935, 380@8000 (259HP/Liter)
2.1l Carrera RSR Turbo, 480HP@8,000rpm (228HP/Liter)

Granted these are gross HP levels and do not speak to throttle response however the implication this is a new performance level provided solely by this product’s design characteristics is untrue. This was done with MFI.

I’m not discounting the great impact EFI has on bringing drivability AND high HP to racing and street applications. My first impression is save your money, buy a cast off 3.6L N.A. manifold, adapt any other modern EFI system. You’d realize the benefits of Porsches 30 years of building throttle response and high HP in their air-cooled engine.

At the same time one must separate and give credit for the contribution of twin turbos over singles in discussions of configuring a responsive high power density engine. Here again engine performance characteristics favoring parallel twin turbos over single turbo were defined for these engines 24 years ago while Porsche tested systems intended for their 959 program. In this discussion we need to be reminded many sanctioning bodies limit turbo cars by specifying only ONE turbo can be installed. They do this knowing it effects the entire engine system.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)