Thread: garage lift
View Single Post

wanderer, I'm glad to hear you were able to correct the problem with you lift. Please keep us posted on your likes / dislikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
Well when the blue helmut Chinese supplied private security forces are patrolling our streets, you will of wished to hell you had bought U.S. made products.
In the Mid-rise lift research I've been doing, Dover Corp. owns a subsidiary call R.L. Consolidated, which has an arm named Vehicle Service Group (homepage linked here) Vehicle Service Group.

On that page you will find Lift brands Rotary, Revolution, and Direct Lift (as well as other auto service companies).

The mid rise lifts made by the three brands cited above are all produced in the Dover Corp. facility in Haimen, China.

Out of curiousity, I called Bend Pak to ask where the MD6 XP is manufactured. The answer - China. Today I used the chat feature on the Bend Pak website to ask where the electric motor and hydraulic unit are manufactured - again, China.

I talked to a Snap-On customer service person today to ask where their mid-rise lift is manufactured. He said their most recent part number - EELR 338A - has been discontinued (which is why I could not find a mid rise lift by searching their website).

Another manufacturer I talked to is Challenger Lifts out of Louisville, KY. They said components are manufactured in China and shipped to the Louisville plant for assembly. The "power unit" (I'm assuming this refers to the electric motor / hydraulic pump combo) is supplied by SPX Hydraulic Technologies - Your Global Force in Hydraulic cylinders, pumps, power packs, and torque wrenches in Rockford IL. I thought to myself, cool, a U.S. supplier! But on the SPX homepage it states "Headquartered in Rockford, Illinois, global sales and manufacturing locations include The Netherlands, Shanghai, Singapore and the United Kingdom." I was too late west coast time today to verify where the power units supplied to Challenger actually come from. And of this bunch, guess which one is consistently more expensive - Challenger - by $300 - $800.

Long story short, at least for these examples it's getting harder, if not darn near impossible, to find a mid-rise lift made even partially in the U.S.

These statements apply only to the respective manufacturers Mid-Rise lifts:
Rotary: Revolution RMR6 Revolution RMR6 - Mid-Rise Lift
Revolution: RMR6 RMR6 - Mid-Rise Lift From Revolution Lift
Direct Lift: Pro 6MR Midrise Lifts
Challenger: MR6 MR6 Mid Rise Lift - Mid Rise Lifts - Challenger Lifts

Gary S.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)