View Single Post

The Fabspeed air cleaner is a little taller than most of the round K&N air filters people put on these cars and it's oval shaped and mounted offset on the air intake so the longer end of the oval goes toward the firewall.
The filter element has more surface area than a round filter because of this so it will have less resistance and flow more air.
Like most aftermarket stuff it is kinda overpriced for what you get but it has the largest surface area and therefore is the best flowing air filter I've seen that mounts right on the CIS air flow meter and doesn't limit access to any other CIS hardware.

I had a small round 3" tall K&N style air cleaner on my car for a while so I could repeatedly get at my adjustable Brian Leask WUR without removing the intercooler and origonal air cleaner housing until I got it adjusted the best I could and then I put the origonal air cleaner housing with a clean K&N element back on and with nothing else done the car immediately had .5 bar higher boost and around 10 more horsepower because the larger air filter element was flowing alot more air than the little round one.
I also cut off the big rounded hinged steel section of the origonal air cleaner housing leaving just enough to hold the filter element in place and repainted it so it wouldn't rust.

A restrictive air filter element on a turbocharged engine can lower the positive air pressure on the compressor side oil seal in the turbo and cause oil to breach that piston ring type seal and if that happens you have a turbo that will continue to leak oil into the compressor making your car a smoker.
This will not always happen on a stock motor with an origonal Borg Warner built K27 but with a higher flowing hybrid K27 on a car with higher flowing cams than stock or SC cams the chance of it happening increases.

If you don't believe that then call any professional KKK turbo rebuilder certified by 3K Borg Warner in the UK, and ask them.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)