View Single Post

I've heard of people replacing the gasket closest to the rear end of the car without removing it but it's alot easier to clean everything if you remove the whole thing first.
Hold the end on while removing the first one, there's a spring in there that's compressed and it fly out.
Be sure to get the piston, spring, and spring guide oriented the same way when sliding them back in.

That decel valve hose on the bottom looks like it will be the biggest pain when putting the manifold back on but the rubber in the hose is usually hardened from age and holds it's shape and slides back on the aluminum pipe as you move the manifold around getting it in place.
A little silicone on the inside of the hose will help it slide back on then you can reach under there with a screwdriver and tighten the hose clamp.
Someday you may switch to a longneck intercooler and C2 blowoff valve, then that whole manifold is gone.

I replaced those 2 gaskets on mine when I first got my car and they were $5 each. They seem like they're made of something similar to white urethane but they turn into something like candle wax after 20 years.
The gasket at the piston end of the cylinder dry rots and gets hammered out by the piston, then it doesn't cushion it anymore and you hear the click and it could eventually become a vacuum/boost leak.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)