View Single Post

Garage
Thanks Aaron for your insightful advice.

I hear what you are saying about going with a shorter stroke and bigger bore but I kind of like the idea of having that longer stroke to help spool the turbo and get me off the corners a bit faster. My engine runs a large single GT4094r.

Maybe my thoughts about where the engine would peak on HP are way off. If I go with ITBs, huge ports and wilder cams the horsepower would peak probably well short of 8000 anyway so really no need to rev so high.

I was just doing some simple math on the weight reduction needed to safely rev higher. Right now my redline is set to 6800 with the stock prepped rods (ARP bolts) and OEM pistons. From the Powerhaus website they say the stock piston assembly on a 3.3 Turbo weighs 622 grams (including rings and wristpins). If I set my redline target short of 8000 - say 7700, the goal becomes much more doable. If I take 7700/6800 and then square the resut you get 1.282. If I then divide the stock piston assembly weight by 1.282 that comes out to 485 grams.

If I were to go with those new JE pistons you suggested (those FSR pistons look very trick) and then factor in some savings on forged rods a 7700rpm redline is probably doable right?

Last edited by GT2EvoGuy; 11-27-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)