View Single Post

Garage
My RarlyL8 header install

I received my RarlyL8 headers and muffler setup from Brian yesterday and dove right into the removal of my stock 86 exhaust plumbing. (The nuts have been soaking in Liquid Wrench for 2 days.) Today, to my horror, I found that one of the 8mm barrel nuts was rounded out prior to my ownership. I inserted the 8mm allen and it could spin in my fingers. Figuring I'd proceed anyway, using an oxy torch to heat the barrels, I removed four of them, and managed to round one out without any help from the previous owner. I actually think my allen key itself rounded a bit from the previous four, and had I been watchful of that, I might have been able to square it by grinding it down a bit to where the shoulders were untouched.

In either case, i was in trouble from the rounded out one. I guess someone else had their hands on my girl at one time- and here I thought this was her wedding night. I spent the better part of the day trying to find a 9mm allen, which turns out to be surprisingly difficult. Tool supply, auto parts, and Sears... most sets skip the 9mm for some reason. I just got back from the home of a Snap On truck owner, and HE didn't have one, thought he could get one for me. I bought an extractor kind of socket from him that fits over the outside of the barrel nut, but when I got home I learned that it will not fit between the top of the heat exchanger and the barrel nut. So that was a waste too. SAE sets jump from 5/16ths to 3/8s, which is too smail to too big.

I'm thinking about the sawzall now, which is usually a good sign that it's time to quit for the day and check in with the boards, and let the fog of war dissipate a bit. But it appears to be my only option, unless I can eventually get a 9mm, hammer it into the two rounded out barrels, and am successful in turning them bout out. If I cut away the old exchangers, I can get at the exterior of the nuts with the extractor or some other implement.

Is there a market for stock, unmolested 86-up exchangers such that I should be concious of resale $$? Any other ideas before the metal chips are flying?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)