View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
Been there, done that. I resorted to using a chisel on the barrel nut to start it turning and then removed the loosened nut with vise grips one small bite at a time. This works because the stud is a fairly tight fit in the flange and it won't bang around too much.

Something to consider, the fact that the barrel nut is rounded off inside means that the PO most likely could not get it off (hence the fact you still have original heat exchangers).

This would be a good time to consider more oxy heat or even the potential of welding your now rounded allen to the nut for removal. When you get the nut off, you can cut the offending slag/nut off and end up with a shorty allen.

This is why I replaced my studs and nuts with ARP SS products. Expensive, but I sleep well at night knowing I will never have this problem. One each package of their 400-8005 and 400-8015 solved the problem for me and I have the thick flanges as you do. As a bonus, the smallish 12-point aircraft nuts even go up through the heat exchanger holes.

Good Luck,
Mark

Last edited by lucittm; 11-28-2009 at 05:32 PM..
Old 11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)