View Single Post
Driver

Garage
I don't think Harvey Weidman is making 17 wheels. He's doing some of the painting/finishing for Zuffenhaus/Jeff Alton, who's making 17" Fuchs replicas, though.

Are you referring to True Design? That outfit, along with Lindsey, are the ones I know who are taking 16" Fuchs, cutting out the centers, and then welding them onto new 17" barrels with custom widths and offsets. My only concern with that, is that you're still using a 20-30 year-old center.

The option is to go with Zuffenhaus, as they're making new 17" Fuchs. Forged, 3-piece. Custom widths and offsets available, too. The benefit is the newness of all their components. Also, cosmetically, the Fuchs centers have been upsized to fit a 17" size, as opposed to using a smaller center, and then making up the difference a bit with the rim profile to achieve 17". Depends on how much of a stickler you are, cosmetically. The downside to Zuffenhaus is that you may/may not have to wait a few months before they'll actually make you the wheels, as they're just entering production.

I don't know if the Rotas are an option. They also have 17" diameters, but I think the offsets were designed with SC and Carrera fitments in mind. They're only available in 7" and 9" widths, so there's no width benefit over stock. The wheels are cast, not forged. There have been some quality control issues with runout, IIRC. There's big debate on whether the casting is as safe as forging for track-type use. But I don't recall anyone ever posting about a Rota failure, and I know many people who have tracked their sets without trouble.

There's also the Blown Six Fuchs replica. Also a forged multipiece wheel. I don't know any stats on the wheels. But if their customer service is as awful as it was with their intercoolers, no way I'd consider their product.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)