View Single Post

My Slope Nose arrived.... now the questions start !

My 87 911 came in last night. Car is a Non Turbo , but many of my questions are specific to a slope nose car, as i have had 4 other um " regular "911's already.

i hope my questions are allowed here.

car is all steel, seems the fenders are stamped. there is a oil cooler in the front nose of the car. i think it has a Porsche part number on it.

hence my first question: where is it supposed to be on a non turbo ( slope nose) car?

my reading on here has suggested only Euro cars had the 930S nose with an oil cooler up front. USA ( real turbo) cars had the oil cooler in the right rear fender.

old news to you guys i know. so where is a non turbo wide body, Slope Nose car "supposed" to have the oil cooler?

i will take some pics, when i can get under the car ( its really low!)

next question: yes, i am sure its a conversion. dealer? good shop? bad shop? i have no idea.

is there any way to narrow down who did the car by the parts, or the methods used?

my question: WHERE THE HECK.. is the headlight motor(s)? left headlight comes on, but it does not go up. i did not see a center mounted motor, but i need to get all the junk out of the bonnet area. there are no access doors cut into the fenders from the inside. looks like you remove the front wheels , to gain access to the buckets???? fun!

My rear vent / ducts have really well made, sheet metal brake ducts that look, old, and " factory". is this good? bad? normal?

I am trying to determine if this was a " good conversion" or a hack job. dont see any welds on the rear steel flares. they were " well done" to my untrained Porsche eye. i do work in Aerospace, and i know " a bit " about sheet metal.

Summary question : what benchmarks do you gentlemen use to figure the quality of the car?

my punch list so far: 4 tires, all fluids, all filters, valve adjust, inspect brakes, steering, suspension, do a bulb , fuse and relay sweep ( replace as needed). also a full tune up, and fuel injection/ fuel system flush and clean.

ps, my rocker extensions are missing the end caps at the rear. where in the world can i find them, and are all of the cars different?

i think my rockers are steel. will confirm tomorrow for the thread.

Thanks for any help, advice, or just plain ole gearhead conversation!

Michael
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)