View Single Post

Garage
Hi Luke,

I just talked to my shop again and we kind of came to the conclusion that the cost benefit of diving into the bottom end is just not worth it until the car truely becomes a track only car that will be running at over 7k. The parts plus labor are well north of $10k

What we decided to do instead was to maximize what I already have for a bit more fun while the car remains on street duty. Not that 585whp at 1.25bar is shabby but I am looking for a bit more power and better pull up top (hopefully to 6600-6700 instead of 6200 peak now).

So, sticking with my current 3.6 plastic intake and single TB setup for now, but they will be reworking my heads for better port velocity and flow for a nice bump in performance. My conditioned stock rods with ARP bolts should be fine with a 7k redline, which is all I need for street use. Much more cost effective upgrade for now at about 1/3 the cost.

My heads currently are:

40mm intake ports (not sure on the exhaust side).
Twin plug
Stock 49mm and 41.5mm valves
Running a slightly bored out 71mm TB with the plastic intake.
Aase valve springs
GT2 Evo cams

The plan is to:
Stay with the 40mm port size
Stay with GT2 Evo cams for good compromise between midrange and top end
Replace stock intake valves with 51.5mm valves with thinner stems
Totally rework the ports for better flow and velocity
Full radius valve job
Make sure all surfaces are trued up and that the spring pressures are proper
Larger TB - maybe jump up to 75 or 80mm

Sure I plan to get into the bottom end eventually but we figure it just isnt very cost effective or noticable for street use right now. When I go to a race only motor, I will be looking to sell the heads, cams, intake, TB setup and go with some custom Xtreme heads starting from their own bare castings along with ITBs. I dont have any experience with CMW so I cant speak to those heads.

Last edited by GT2EvoGuy; 12-02-2009 at 05:53 PM..
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)