View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilodawg View Post
zcoker,

I didn't mean to come across as aggressive as I perhaps did. It's just that since I first got my car I have heard all kinds of stories as to what is or isn't correct, where and how they were assembled and on and on. The fact that Porsche instituted changes along the way and that many companies did conversions in the aftermarket arena helps to cloud the real history too.

I tend to try and keep the facts as straight as possible. Not that I haven't been wrong before. So just wondering is your car a factory slant (M505 or prior) or a conversion because that might clear up the issue of your fitment problems. Just wondering.

It also looked like from the picture you included that there was no body Schutz applied to the rockers prior to paint. In other words it looks like a smooth surface. Is that correct or just how the picture makes it appear..Please reference the picture below.

Hey, no problem man. It is weird how these car are so guessed at. I wish that this post had been around when I went through my end cap ordeal. So it is all good. Anyway, what you said could be the case, as I don't know if the panels are different sizes for M505 or dealer installs (as far as I know, my car was a dealer conversion with factory parts and when I got the car, the end caps were missing). Even at that, the 911 end caps were way off in fit, not even close. And believe me, I searched high an low for the right caps because I had no desire to make the friggin things. But I had no other option and they turned out better than expected, much more contoured and covering most of the end without any metal showing. Here is a picture I got of a factory slantnose rocker end cap and it is much larger than the 911 caps that I have in my garage. I restored my rockers thus the smooth finish underneath.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)