View Single Post

Garage
OK, that didn't go too well. Despite using a stud extractor kit specifically for 8mm, and heating up the head around the stud, the tool snapped the stud. Actually, it snapped it twice... once it broke with about 1/2" remaining, and then it snapped again flush with the head. A series of left handed bits and extractor work was employed to no effect. Despite a center punch, I was unable to nail the 10x ring on the stud, and the hole is slightly off, but I was still able to slide Brian's header on over the studs during a testfit with a replacement stud in the hole.
I'm left with a 5/16ths hole so far, and researching 8mm time serts. Do I have enough room around the hole to drill and tap for the much larger timesert?

I also had similarly miserable time with the wastegate. I am now left four 5/16ths drilll holes similar to the one in the cylinder head above. Do you think I have enough meat to put the time serts here, too?

Won't be sorry not to see these particular tools for a long time-

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)