View Single Post

Garage
I’m not standing up for this guy, I know one. I’ve been a turbo guy for 38 years now however the broader Porsche community, and its many air-cooled mechanics have never truly embraced the 930 Turbo.

First off it was an enigma to the product line. It’s commercial success even surprised the marketing department. To them the car made absolutely no sense for American buyers, but we loved them. Once they realized they had a luxo cruiser supercar product that appealed to the non-sporty rich set they loaded them up with options, added on wild profit margins and sold all they could without suppressing the price. This was the formula for the 930 turbo, like it or not.

To the Porsche faithful it was powerful but did it by cheating, “hell a turbo will give you any power you want, short of destruction” plus it was priced out of reach of the faithful. These are today's old guys who think nothing of spending $5K for period correct Recarro seats, $8K for wide Fuchs and way more money for a 300HP 2.8, twin plug, slide valve motor than any turbo build I’ve seen on this board.

Now enter your mechanic, to him thinking as a business man, it’s worth $7,000. Purchase the car, spend $12K rebuilding the engine. Tires, brakes, trans, A/C, fix all the non-functioning electrical, easy sell for ???? $20K, involved sell $25K. Where is his profit? And truthfully you will either spend this much after purchase or pay it going in.

930 turbos are beautiful, soulful, powerful and very capable cars in their own right. Time, and more capable products from Porsche have replaced them. This is all good because now they are becoming affordable for you younger guys who appreciate them for more than simply an investment. Many of you are bumping the power, stripping out all the luxo BS and making them the cars Porsche never sold but they had the potential to be. In this process you also disturb the "faithful".

Last edited by copbait73; 12-11-2009 at 06:36 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)