Thread: 3.6 into 930
View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
3.6 into 930

I am currently rebuilding a spare 3.6L 964 engine (primarily to keep me away from the TV couch) and I was planning to find a car for it early next year.

I have started looking around (at mid 80s Carreras mostly) but it has dawned on me that maybe replacing my (just rebuilt!) 3.3T motor might be an option. I WANT a turbo body. I NEED a turbo body, there is no other shape! Besides, all that work I have done on brakes, suspension and other little upgrades here and there would have to be done all over again.

I am deviating from the norm a little with the 964 engine. It will have six 44mm throttle bodies from a Triumph Daytona 675 to replace that huge and ugly inlet manifold, 12 coil packs for ignition instead of two distributors and 100 feet of spark plug wire, Megasquirt, a nice hot cam from Dougherty, a bit of head work and some headers.
I know, itís not quite turbo power, but it should be enough to keep me smiling. And NO lag.
When the smile wears off, the next stage will be to add one or two turbos, or even a supercharger.

I am thinking aloud here, but comments or input are most welcome, especially from anyone who has gone this route already.
I have already fitted close ratio gears in my 930 box, so I could retain it, however another option is to shop for a 5 speed 964 box. (= more work with clutch hydraulics and TB tube interference ). Selling off my 3.3 and gbox are options to pay for some of this, I guess.

So, the main question is ... am I going to get banished from this forum if I replace my 3.3 turbo engine with a 3.6 N/A?

Teaser pic of work in progress Ö

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 12-16-2009, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)