View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Anthony,
SAE hp of the Turbo S was 375hp (381 PS is the metric hp), very close to the Andial car. Maybe the Turbo S was almost identical to the Andial in the mods it received. It's a mystery as almost everything I've read about the Turbo S engine says something a little different. Here's a compilation of features but I don't know which are true (except for the first one):

*has an RS flywheel (actually has a lightweight pressure plate and dual mass flywheel)
* Revised engine management (a different EZ69 unit?)
* Polished intake ports and manifold (a clean-up or really bigger ports?)
* Bigger turbo (which one?)
* 964 profile cams
* .9 bar boost
It was my understanding that the S2's were made by Andial so Porsche can claim they sold 20 cars so the engine mods could be used for the IMSA race series. IIRC they claimed they were similar to the ROW turbo S and therefor designated S2. In reality only the actual components were changed on the S2 the ROW S could have had anything done to it since they were not held to the restrictions of the US market. Robert Litton's heavily factory modified 1988 930 turbo cab was producing over 500 hp from the factory and it was snuck into the country without being detected. Right about this time Porsche started getting into trouble for playing games like this.

I know of 3 of the S2's in my area. One was modified from stock and i know the people that opened it up and made the changes. Second hand news but I was told other than the physical mods there was no extensive porting or other work done to the engine they dismantled. In reality the S2 was similar to the ROW X33 package although I believe it used slightly more aggressive cams and a large IC. AFAIK they all came with dual mass flywheel since these cars started life as stock 3.3's. The ROW S used a different pressure plate and flywheel. These were not regulated by IMSA so no need to make changes to that in the S2.

All of the turbo S's including the 94's used a .9 bar spring which is not much more boost than the stock 3.6.

You have to be careful because there was also the 1992 LeMans turbo which had far more modifications than the S and sometimes the info gets confused. One of the more interesting mods made to the LEMans car was the use of the air pump to keep the turbo spooled up at all times eliminating turbo lag.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)