View Single Post

Advice on '86 purchase

Iíve been offered the option to purchase a 930 recently. Iím not 100% sure about the year but I believe itís an í86 due to the E.T. brake light on the tail, and black Porsche letters on rear reflector. I donít have the VIN yet but Iím fairly certain itís a RoW model. It has the amber signal lens, rear fog light, small bumperettes.

The price offered is fairly reasonable, about the same as a nice 3.2 Carrera. The motor was rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago. Not sure by who, I havenít looked at the receipts yet. Forgot to look at the odometer. Sport seats, leather, rear wiper, twin exhaust, stock 4-speed. There are a couple of cosmetic things I would attend to but overall very nice condition. The only detractor is the wheels Ė chromed Fuchs.

Iím really considering buying this car. Iíve driven a few Turbos, the first a í76, the last an í86. However, thereís a very real possibility I could get transferred to Naples, Italy in 12-13 months. But I won't know until a couple months prior to having to be there. If I do move, Iíll have to sell the Turbo and a couple of other cars in a short period of time.

Also, I know a 930 requires a lot of work if it does nothing but sit. Iím fairly good with a wrench as I have done all my own maintenance for the last 15 years (Carbs to CIS). If I buy it, I plan on driving it, a lot.

A few questions:
1. Average market price for a í86 930?
2. How is the market? Are 930ís moving?
3. If itís a RoW, do I need to check for DOT papers?
4. Anything special I need to look for?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)