View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
If it's a fresh and recent change prior to winter, I leave it alone....I don't see the difference between the oil sitting in a container on a shelf or sitting in my engine case unused. I do go out and start/run the car for 15 minutes or so periodically during the winter just to keep lubricant throughout and blow some of the condensation out of the muffler.
Wait a minute, Chuck. You don't have not stinkin' winter in Elk Grove Ca. You should be driving it all year

I do all my oil changes in the spring. My car resides in a heated garage all winter long, and usually after the first maiden spring run I change the oil. If you've got really old dirty oil, I suppose the acids and such that build up probably cause some corrosion and would argue for changing out the oil with fresh before winter storage. Then run all summer with what you put in before winter sets in again. New oil is new oil, whether it's been sitting for a few months in the crankcase or not.

Did I just contradict myself? Well, I only put on a couple thou miles each year and figure the oil is not so old as to cause any corrision issues. But I could be wrong.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)