Thread: Dreadful drone
View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The car in Florida that burned out the sound deadening material is the first and only time this has happened. That car had a turbo failure and saw EXTREME heat. The sound deadening material crystallized and was spit out which essentially left him with a hooligan muffler.
That burned out muffler did NOT drone, it simply got louder in a short time. This is what alerted the owner that something was going on.
I spoke with both the owner and the mechanic who were complaining that the muffler had gotten progressively louder in over a year's time. Because my muffler failed I sent him a new muffler body at no cost. I was horrified when I received the burned up muffler and immediately called to report something very bad was going on with his car and he should not drive it until fixed.
These mufflers are made of 321 stainless and can take more heat than 304. Normal heat will turn them bronze over time, this one was purple. I inspected it and found no issues at all with the structure.

(The tailpipes pictured with the burned up muffler were not on at the time, this is a package I put together to re-sell it after being re-packed)

Old 12-30-2009, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)