View Single Post

I don't have a pic of the spray bar holes, but...
Everytime I adjust the valves I check that the cam spray bar holes are clear and shooting oil straight up and they're not clogged.

I don't like cleaning motor oil out of the AC condensor fins and rows and everywhere else it makes a mess when starting the car with the upper valve covers off... Did that after the first time and decided a better way to check that the 3 spray bar holes are clear is to completely clean the upper valve cover and slide it onto the studs and crank the motor over on the starter motor with the fuel pumps off for a couple seconds after getting oil pressure.

Then slide the upper valve cover off the studs and look at the 3 oil splash marks on the inside of the upper valve cover from the oil that shot straight up at it from the 3 cam spray bar holes.

Here's a pic of the inside of my upper valve covers showing 3 oil splash marks from the 3 vertical cam spray bar holes.
When all 3 oil splash marks look about the same after 2 seconds of starter motor cranking I believe the cam spray bar holes are clear and good to go.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)