View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Thierry,
Happy New Year, buddy. Those stories of poor reliability with Garrett's are the stories of urban myth. Failures have occurred from people who install turbochargers like they are putting in an air cleaner.
For the sake of clarity, you can order the Garrett's with oil-only cooling/lubing, T3 or T4 Flanges, various turbine and compressor A/R's.
Seriously, I know you want to keep it simple with a KKK, but let's face it, you're settling for 70's technology. What you need is a complete kit which would include the correct oil feed lines, proper sump lines, fittings AND the proper turbocharger designed with one engine in mind.....YOURS. I can't stress it enough, find a highly recommended turbocharger tuner shop, tell them what you have on your engine for mods, where you want your power mapped.
We have a turbo supplier at the shop I work at occasionally that has supplied everything from mild KKK hybrid's, street Garrettt's, to wild FabCar GTP1 993 turbo monster track cars. PM me if you would like to discuss your options with him. BTW, I'm not affiliated with the turbo shop in any way.
Dear Dave

Thanks a lot for your interesting inputs !

I didn't mentionned that the GARETT are proned to fail ! They are certainly reliable when they are correctly choosen and correctly installed. I still have some doubt about the ball bearing design which reduce a little bit the lag but which is certainly less reliable for very long term period.

As you said, that's true they come with a some huge adjustment possibilities.

However, I just think these turbos doesn't really match with the original philosophy of the car. So far , the GT range need some modifications ( oil , flange etc) .... but the most important thing is that they need a water cooling ! I bought a 965 car ........ not a water cooled car

Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)