View Single Post

Paulo,

Thanks for the clarification.. I thought that was you commenting as owner of #012. Welcome aboard!

I have been at this for sometime and to be both honest and blunt, I sometimes get the timelines twisted and have forgotten more about these cars than some people claim to know.

My confusion was with points; a) and b) above as my understanding of these dates was 1991 and 1993 respectively. However, point c) clears it for me as I have this issue of Road and Track in my collection and this event is further referenced in Ruf, Fascination Auf der Nurburgring.

Regarding TüV Certification. In some case it acts like the US version of DOT and/or EPA in that it requires a "manufacturer" to meet certain standards;

•Verifying the use of quality materials in the manufacture of an automotive product.
•Emissions standards are similar to the original manufacturers standards.
•No danger in the fit or use of the product.
•Verifying that stated power and economy figures are accurate and are not misleading.

I am very well versed on the understanding of VIN numbers and the government regulations surrounding them.. both the Federal and State & local levels here in the U.S. Having imported several cars from Europe, as well as having assisted others in doing so in the 80's.
Also, being fortunate enough to have had a reasonably close relationship with some at DOT offered me a unique view of the process and the issues that haunted others regarding VIN #s.

Regarding d), e), f); Yes, as you have stated.. However, let me clarify that I did not assume or address these cars has having their VIN numbers replaced. The affixed tags I have seen and refer to were additional as stated.

I have enjoyed a number of conversation with Alois, he is always great to talk with. I did so last during the Parade @ Hershey and of course at his Birthday party just after. I believe this was the start of his N. American tour with the Yellow Bird?

Best Regards and enjoy the beast!

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 01-06-2010 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)