View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark '87 930 View Post
Thanks Mark. I didn't mention the rebuild of the turbo much as it seems to be 'taboo' to rebuild your own turbo. I bought a rebuild kit and have most of it apart already (I've done it before on a different turbo) but I'm having a hard time with the turbine housing and getting it off. Will tackle that tomorrow.

I'll have to check the housing to make sure it's still ok. There was enough shaft play that I could feel it without it being on a dial indicator, so I knew it had to be done. Only had 10-15K miles on it though since new.
Hi Mark -

Please take these comments as meant to be constructive. It’s very unfortunate you tore this turbo down. With only 10-15k miles odds are there was nothing wrong with it.

Regarding inspection, the industry standard is; if the individual wheels are not rubbing their housings it’s probably OK. If the blades have no impact marks it’s probably OK. This rule does not catch them all but roughly 98%.

It’s true that turbos are often successfully rebuilt by a DIYer, but then statistically most didn’t need to be torn down in the first place. While a turbo is very simple in concept it must be perfectly right in a few critical areas when reassembled. If not done right it will fail in short order, then you will have a bad core to trade in for a new turbo.

At this stage I suggest you collect the pieces and take them to an authorized shop. I find turbos fascinating, ask the shop to allow you to witness what they are doing and explain these critical areas to you.

If you wish to dig into a turbo the 3LDZ is a robust old design that should give you the experience and probably survive for use as a shakedown turbo.

Last edited by copbait73; 01-09-2010 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)