View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
Rebuild a Turbo?

Mark,
I was forced to rebuild mine due to FOD. There was very little play, but the blades were damaged as shown below:

I tried to find an exhaust tubine wheel and shaft but I had no luck. In my search I found Durabuilt Turbos and they had a cartridge for my stock K27 for $527. The cartridge consists of both turbine and compressor wheels and the center section. Since it comes pre-balanced, it is a bolt-in replacement.

One thing I learned in the process is that you have to heat the compressor wheel to remove it from the shaft if you are going to get to the bearings and seals for a rebuild. If you can put it together exactly as it came apart the balancing should be close.

Having said that, my local turbo guy, Tim's Turbos has a Hein balancing machine that is so sensitive that I swear a fingerprint on the compressor wheel will throw it off, I'm just sayin'.

I have my old center section and compressor wheel if anyone wants it cheap, the turbine wheel is junk, of course.

Good luck,
Mark
Old 01-09-2010, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)