View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
1.) An ideal header for a turbocharger will have the shortest primaries possible.
A turbocharger is driven by the velocity and energy of the exhaust gas.
2.) It will incorporate equal length primaries to aid scavenging (correct spelling) and insure exhaust pressure pulses do not overlap, which build up back pressure on overlapped cylinders and create uneven exhaust pulses fed to the turbine.
The length of the primaries before the joint is determined by calculating the desired rpm operating range and pipe diameter. The traveling pressure wave out one primary pipe will create negative pressure in the adjacent cylinder which will aid the scavenging of exhaust when that cylinder's exhaust port opens.
3.) And there's the quandary; Doing both without compromise, is impossible.
Cheers, guys. Interesting thread, this.

I suppose, thinking about this logically, aside from all the other benefits of twin turbochargers (quicker spool), with fewer exhaust pulses (3 in our 6-cylinder case) per turn of the crank, I suppose this allows for shorter-length primaries?

Taking this line of thinking to its ultimate conclusion, then, we could have a tiny turbo for each cylinder?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)