View Single Post

That odometer gear that runs off the worm gear on the electric motor is made from a different plastic than the rest of the plastic gears in the odometer section of the electronic speedometer.
I know, I replaced it in my '87 and palo alto will sell the gear to you for $20 when I did it. I think you can buy the same plastic gear from aut*m*tion for $25.

That little POS clear plastic gear thats designed to dry rot and crumble shouldn't cost more than 50 cents.

ALL of them will turn to wax eventually and you did the right thing to have it fixed... and I can't believe this guy is giving you crap about it.

Here is a pic of the clear plastic odometer gear that dry rots in about 20 years depending on the climate your car lives in.
The rest of the odometer gears are a hard white plastic that don't rot and turn to something similar to candle wax.

..and the new $20 replacement odometer gear from Palo Alto speedometer:

It's easy to replace it yourself and save a hundred bucks and a couple weeks time.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)