View Single Post

930 in-car track video

Here's a video I just compiled from a track day last summer:

PCA2 on Vimeo

To watch, I suggest you click on the "full screen" button on the lower right of the video window and make sure that "HD on" is shown on the right side. The sound is pretty good, so turn it up. I dubbed in the actual sound from this car over the opening still shots.

For those who don't know me, this car has been an obsessive project for about 10 years. It's finally "done." It's a 78 930 Euro non-sunroof coupe that weighs 2720 lb. with a full interior (though Sparco seats) and half tank of fuel. The engine in this clip was running about 500 hp at 0.8 bar. There's another map that produces 622 hp/618 tq at 1.2 bar. The engine is a 3.4 liter, twin-plug, with a DTA engine managment system, heads heavily massaged by Xtreme, custom Garrett T-66 turbo by Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks, GT2 Evo cams, MODE headers, Extrude Honed Carrera manifolds, Borla muffler, and a huge intercooler. The clutch is a Sachs PP modified by SPEC, with a SPEC ferramic disk. The transmission is a heavily re-geared 930 with a very tall first and shorter 3rd and 4th and a Guard LSD. The suspension has 23/31 T-bars with Rebel Racing 250 lb coilovers at the rear, revalved Bilstein shocks, poly bushings, TRG swaybars, monoballs at the trailing arm pivots and strut tops, strut brace, and bump steer kit by ERP. There are two big front oil coolers. Brakes are 930 with lots of front cooling and Porferfield R4 pads. Wheels are Kinesis 9.5 and 11 by 17 with Nitto NT-01 tires.

I "designed" the build myself, and did the engine assembly and a million other tasks, but had the expert help of many fine people who know their specialties very well, including Bill DiCondini at Xtreme Cylinder Heads who did some magnificent head and porting work, Neil Harvey at Performance Developments who provided "flame rings," machining, parts, and advice, Dick Elverud who did the bottom end machining and piston prep, Kevin Matwichuk at Ultimate Motorwerks who built the turbo, Bob Holcombe who built the headers and provided advice, and Dave Capurro at C&C Automotive, who did the basic dyno tuning and setup of the EFI system.

It's a fabulous track car, but isn't super friendly on the street (primarly because of the gearing and clutch). For those who want a serious 930 for the track, but one that can be driven to/from the track, this is one way to do it.

Rob

Last edited by Rob 930; 01-25-2010 at 05:48 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)