View Single Post

Kris,

I don't know much about the RSA, other than it's well set up and the owner has been a long-time driver and instructor in our area. He brings it in a trailer, and has it on Hoosiers. I think it may be Moton-equipped, and the suspension has been properly tweaked and aligned. I'm not aware that it has any major engine mods, other than the exhaust doesn't sound stock. It's just a tight, well-set-up, well-driven car.

I had a passenger with me in that video, so whenever that's the case, I tend to drive at least 5% more cautiously, plus I have some extra weight. I also don't have Hoosiers; the NT-01s are very good, but they're probably a couple seconds off the pace of Hoosiers. There's no question that I'm not at the top of my game yet in that car. I can wring out a 944 S2 on that track, but it will take more time (and testicular fortitude) to optimize a lap in this car.

What I do have are the right gears. I have a 930 gearbox with four carefully chosen gears. There's no G50 that's going to be any better than this gearbox for that track. What I sacrifice is that with four gears, 1st gear is very tall, so it takes some finesse to start from a stop. But for my application, I don't care. Some people would argue that my gears are too close and that I'm spending too much time shifting. I disagree. For this application, I'm always in the power band, with no lag. And that 930 box is bulletproof and can be shifted pretty quickly.

forwheeler,

The camera is an Aiptek HD GVS model, which is very light and inexpensive ($160 or so), and it's mounted on an I/O Port mount that's clamped to a harness bar.. The internal mic is awful for this application, so I used an external mic located by the tailpipe. I also used a Raynox wide angle adapter that clips on to the lens. I have a small inverter wired into the cigarette lighter to keep the camera battery up. With an 8 Mb SD card, it can record something like 4 hours of HD video!

Rob
Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)