View Single Post

Paul (onboost),

Thanks for identifying yourself from the old days! You never know who you're talking to on these forums. I'm sure I still have email from you back then. Yes, who here remembers the old C2turbo.com website! And then there was Stephen Kaspar's website (was it Turbo911.com?); they've all gone to the heavens of turbo sites past. I do recall my attempt to arrange a "group buy" for engine management systems. Interestingly, there were at least three people from that group who actually did buy Motec systems from one vendor, at a substantial discount. And two of us went to Dave Capurro for DTA systems with great success, but I wouldn't call it a "group buy." In retrospect, the whole concept of a "group buy" for something like that is sort of questionable. The cost of such a system is almost trivial compared to everything else that follows. And each engine build is so unique. Success really depends on the support network, the tuning, and a million other variables. I paid $1700 for the DTA box. But I have $75K in the car (not counting the car itself!). Nothing wrong with trying to optimize a price for the engine management system, but it's way more important to choose an engine management system based on more critical factors.

Paul (gilach),

Yes, I kept the revs pretty high on that run. The engine should be good for well over 7000, though I tried to observe a shift point at or below 7K. The (lack of) damping of the tach needle during downshifts makes it look like actual revs are higher than 7K, when actually, I don't think they are. The inertia of the tach needle, and the lack of damping, send the needle higher than the actual engine speed during throttle blips. It might be good if I had the tach serviced so that it doesn't look like I'm reckless with my downshifts!

John (whtknckls),

Thank you. I'll be there either in the 930 or in a much more sedate, but very satisfying white 944 S2. Come say hello. I'm an instructor for the PCA PNWR and BMW clubs.

Rob

Last edited by Rob 930; 01-27-2010 at 08:57 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)