View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
There is an existing turbo that is sized properly for your motor and it already has a wastegate, the mid 80s Buick Grand National Garrett T3. With some shopping you can find one for $100.00. Your mild boost lower HP application will not need the W/G flow of a typical 930 motor. 930 turbo and wastegate can cost $300 (very used) to $2500 (new, higher performance than you need).

You need to be cautious of turbocharger matches based soley on HP because most were for smaller displacement 4 cylinder motors. The compressors are low flowing and your high reving 3.0L will run off the map.
First, I appreciate everyone's comments and help. While I have owned a turbo car in the past, it was all factory and I just drove it! So I am on a big learning curve here. I understand some concepts of the turbocharging, but the devilish detail are where I am trying to pick up my knowledge.

That said, with the grand national turbo, will it work with the 930 J tube?

Also:
I found a guy selling a setup from a 76 930 (his uncle's car). He says his mechanic cheked it out and the turbo and WG are in proper workin order (though not sure how he knows for sure), but who knows. The heat exchanger and J tube look pretty rough in the pictures, but I can pick it up for $150. Not sure it is worth it though. I will post pics and see what you guys think. I know turbos are rebuildable (possibly) and I have access to pretty well equipped shop, so the question is, if I found one such as that, is it worth rebuilding money-wise, or are you going down the wrong path (keeping in mind trying to keep cost at minimum for this project). Is it something that can be done DIY with a decent shop, or are there too many special tools needed? Will pst pics in a few minutes. Snow day here today!

- Daily - 2004 Cayenne S
- Gone but not forgotten - 1983 Ruby Red Cabriolet
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)