View Single Post

Send a message via Skype™ to djdawson2
I have an '89 930 as well. I considered mine a relative steal at about $25k... but the Porsche buyers seem to be very scared of cars with some miles on them. Mine had nearly 100k at purchase. I am very capable of doing all of my own work, major and minor... so the miles didn't bother me at all... I'm a lifelong gearhead.

Mine has worked nearly flawlessly since I bought it. The only problem that it has every exhibited is that on occasion it fails to deliver signal to the fuel pump relays... and therefore not start. This has been easy to overcome when it has happened, and has been quite rare. I've taken the car on numerous 1000+ mile trips, and it has never let me down.

Since buying it, I've added a few bolt-ons. I installed RarlyL8's muffler, and that made a major difference in performance. This was my first add-on. Then I installed a B&B intercooler and a K27-7200 turbo at the same time... also great improvements.

I've had to do a few other maintenance items to get everything working after I bought it. The only expensive one was the electric fan for the oil cooler in the drivers side fender. This fan cost about $450, and the foam seal that surrounds the cooler is another $85ish.

Minor work... since the car had miles on it, I replaced the front ball joints and control arm bushings. Relatively easy work, and not too expensive.

I've spent a lot of time in a '96 993 as well. The two are totally different animals, in my opinion, and it really depends on what you are interested in. The 993 is a great driving car, and refined compared to the 930. However, the 930 has a raw visceral nature to it that the 993 can't compare to. On the other hand, the 993 is something you'd take out and drive at any time, where the 930 seems more appropriate for special occasion use. Bottom line, however... I still own the 930, and not a 993.

However, I will probably buy a 993tt in the not too distant future. Just love that car too.

This is mine... I've since replaced the twists with Speedline Alesios... more period correct IMO:

Old 01-29-2010, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)