View Single Post

Switching to coil overs isn't going to improve the ride. But if you are going to convert I would re enforce the rear shock mounts. The main advantage of coil overs are, easier suspension set up, ride height adjustment, and spring rate change. They also respond faster than a torsion bar.

To improve your ride you should consider re-valving your shocks. I run re-valved shocks on my 930 by Smart Racing (F&R10 valving) and noticed an improved ride over stock. The next step up would be an adjustable shock, either single or double. I would go with a single adjustable for the street. The advantage of an adjustable shock is you can fine tune the shock to your driving preference.

I use the Wevo single adjustable rear shocks and the Smart Racing Fox single adjustable shocks on the front of our '75 Carrera. The Wevo shocks work with either torsion bars or coil overs. The Smart Racing fronts have remote nitrogen canisters (kind of a pain), and you also adjust the spindle height. They only work with coil overs. Another adjustable front shock set up I was looking at is by Koni. They take your Bilstein strut and convert it into an adjustable sealed shock. They quoted me $1500 for the conversion. I went with the Smart Racing for $400 more because they had the advantage of the adjustable spindle height. There are quite a few choices out there, these are the ones I'm familiar with.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)