View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
I've got one, it's black inside and out and has 48k miles. After years and years of not knowing which was the right car for me I took the plunge and bought mine just over a year go. As previously mentioned my only regret so far is I didn't buy one sooner.

After just 200 miles of ownership we (my wife and kids with me) used it for our family holiday and drove across Europe through 9 countries in 11 days covering 2000 miles. It covered every type of road imaginable from twisty gravelled alpine mountain passes to cruising at 125mph on German Autobahns with ease.

The kids loved the trip and so did my wife. This year for our holiday we were going to go to Sicily in it so we could do a lap of the Targa Florio but won't as without working air conditioning it would be too tough a trip for us but I know the car would have done it without any problems.

Insead I will be using it on sunny weekends and will follow the Mille Miglia in it and drive from Maranello where I live via Le Mans for the Classic Le Mans event and then back to the UK for it's annual sevice/inspection (about 1000 miles each way).

It's not in perfect condition as it has the later 964 turbo bumpers and non-original wheels. I bought it with the parts to convert back to as manufactured and will take it off the road to return it back to original once the novelty of owning it has worn off. Can't see that happening in the next 5yrs so the respray will have to wait.

I have driven it a few times on the same roads used by Ferrari for their mountain road testing route and it was a joy to drive. They are not the easiest car to drive but probably one of the most rewarding once you get the hang of the turbo lag.

As for them having a reputation for sticking peole backwards off the road in my brief experience they must have been very poor drivers or stupid or a combination of both.

Do it you only live once and the way prices are going you may not get a second chance.

Thanks Captain!
Hey, I'd love to see pictures of a black 930...drop some on this forum if you have any. Where are you located in this huge expanse of world we live in?
Oh...great story by the way! I would LOVE to have the opportunity to drive a turbo in Europe...ahh alas...just a dream. LOL!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)