View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Van Wey View Post
I did not really have a number in mind, just wanted to see what could be done with for as little money possible. It has been an education so far.

One other question is: would it be possible to do more with less going a supercharged route? Then I would not have to dump my 911SC badge for a turbo one...

I have a friend in Nashville that has a SC motor but it was done before he bought it.

Hi Shane, Personally for your goal I would stick with turbo charging.

Like you I'm trying to put together a basic turbo conversion. Where we still use, modify or adapt our existing fuel and ignition systems to keep the cost down.

I started down this path last winter when I had the engine out to freshen it up, valves, guides, rings etc.
Then it all starts down the slippery slope of " While I'm in there"
Next thing you know your thinking of all the other performance and future build things you can do and by then it to late your addicted,,,, lol Looking back, I started doing Way more than I needed all on the bases of future enhancements.

My point is, that it is very easy to wander from your initial goal, it was for me anyway,,,(look at my slippery slope signature ,, lol) So it helps to have a game plan of what you want, where your going, and what your going to use the car for, to help keep you on track.

Me well, I'm just an old fart that likes to giver on the back roads, so I don't really NEED a costly high HP build. Just something " Basic" to tinker and have fun with. Problem is once you get the HP bug,, You WANT more than you NEED.

My 2cents worth,,,, there is more than one way to get to the end result you want, decide whats right for you. J pipe, OEM waste gate and turbo works if you can find (good ones at a reasonable price). Don't forget to pick up a turbo distributor or recalibrate yours to pull back timing under boost.

For the increased fuel needs you can check out what this guy did. This is about as " Grass Roots" as you can get. 911SC Turbo

There is a tremendous amount of information here and on the net, unfortunately at times it takes a lot of searching to find it.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)