View Single Post
Infidel

Well a couple of facts that we know is that the Secan keeps the temps within 20-degrees of ambient, and that the Secan coolers are the best in the world by a very long margin, all backed up by actual race testing. So an air to air intercooler for an air coooled Porsche, fitted under the rear wing, will never deliver ambient intake temps at WOT, the best you can ever hope for is 20-25 degrees above ambient.

So the Proto claim of 90% is either misquoted by Bruce Anderson, or just plain hype. There is a lot of hype with intercoolers, lots of 'how much bigger', and 'how little flow restriction', and how 'efficient' etc...
Another one with 'actual' data testing was the FVD bolt on cooler that was supposed to flow better than stock, have 50% more capacity, and obviously be a great bolt on upgrade. After testing it was proven to be worse than the stock 993 cooler! I had my hands on one, you can see from this pic that it's tube and fin, which will account for the better flow, and it was certainly bigger, but it was worse than stock. I think the intercooler debate is great, and i'd love to have a better cooler on my car, but what to do? I can't afford a Secan

87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 01-31-2010, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)